THE INTEGRITY THING

Integrity has become a common word today, but not necessarily a common act. Many organizations place a high value on individuals with high moral values, because it seems that such specie of humans are gradually going into extinction.

Integrity is a very important value, even though not many are willing to do what it really takes to become people of high uncompromising moral soundness. It requires a lot of work, discipline, sacrifice and patience to become a person of integrity. But the journey is worth it, at the end of the day, because there are usually rewards ; some long term, sometimes short term. And everybody feels more comfortable being around and working with people they can trust.

Recently I had an experience that reminded me of the importance of integrity even in our daily lives. I boarded a motorcycle to take me home (as in I entered okada) and after paying him, he was meant to give me a balance of four hundred naira N400, but he gave me seven hundred naira instead because he thought the five hundred naira note was two hundred naira note. I simply brought his attention to his mistake and returned the excess to him. He was ecstatic like he just won a lottery, the look of gratitude just radiated over his face. With so much joy he said in pidgin; "Shuoo, this girl na better person o, na so my money for just go like that" When he said that, I just felt so happy, I felt like a rare gem,  like a hero honestly I felt so  proud of myself.

In a nutshell, when it comes to integrity, its all about what you do when no one is watching. Do you go late to work when your boss is out of town? Do you badmouth your boss or the organization you work for? How would you react if you're over paid at the bank? What would you really do when no one is watching? Remember, this is what really defines you.

We would love to hear your story
Have you ever had an experience that tempted you to do the wrong thing?
 How did you handle it?
What lessons have you learnt?
What price have you had to pay for doing the right thing?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

NEW BEGINNING!!

KNOWING WHEN TO SAY NO!